Monday, July 22, 2013

Video Games

The controversy over video games is a strong one. Each side has good arguments for their perspective. Personally I've never played video games, my parents didn't but them for us and we were always told to go play outside instead. My cousin on the other hand was practically addicted, he had just about every video game you could imagine. We are very close in age and went to college at the same time. While I made friends quickly my cousin took longer. He spent the majority of his freshman year in his bedroom on his computer. It wasn't until his sophomore year that he got a job, branched out and began interacting with other people.

I think that there are a lot of pros to video games. They help give great problem solving skills and help enhance the imagination. People can get really into them and develop online relationships with others who play the same game, working together and challenging each other. However, I do think that there is something to say for losing personal and face-to-face interaction.

However, I think this can be overcome by regulating the time someone play a video game and at what age they begin to play them. I feel that at a younger game the same problem solving skills and imagination growth can be instilled and created through outdoor play. Plus there is the added bonus of kids getting out their energy and working on face-to face interactions. I know we have been talking a lot about losing face-to face time and those relationships because of technology and I think that video games definitely play into that idea.

While I'm not against video games I do feel like they are something that should be done in moderation, like watching T.V. and eating sugary foods. Video games are a great way to think strategically, problem solve, and think outside the box. They are not however a great way to enhance your ability to work face-to-face.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that excessive video game play can have a negative impact on social skills. I think the same thing can be said for having a social life primarily contained within social media outlets, but that's another topic for another day. I'd like to draw attention to your comment about how the skills that video games can help build are just as easily developed through outdoor play in younger kids. I don't disagree. In fact, I remember playing in my yard with my brother and our friends for hours on end when we were kids. We often created our own games complete with detailed rules and complex strategies. We may have been able to do some of this by playing video games, but we learned a lot about communication, teamwork, and socializing by doing it outside with our friends. I'm wondering at what age this stops? Or does it have to stop at all? Can "outdoor play" continue to evolve as kids grow up and still provide more value than computer and video games? My first thought is that organized sports continue to provide this indefinitely, but what about kids who aren't into sports?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,

    Your comment made me think about the kindergarden program "TOOLS" that we discussed in EDUC 606. The students came up with scenarios, gave themselves characters, and had the play and stay in character for an extended length of time. While the chapter discussed this in terms of "teaching" self-control I'm now thinking about it in terms of skills that one would learn playing a video game: imagination, problem-solving, etc. Would these students (age of 5) be able to learn these skills via a video game? Or do kids at that age need some type of game where they can run around and get energy out?

    I've also been thinking a lot about your question about outdoor play evolving as kids get older. I don't think video games are completely bad, I just think they should be played in moderation. For kids that don't like sports there's music, social clubs and activities, other hobbies, etc. I think it's just important to maintain a social interaction so that social skills are developed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I deal with the video game dilemma almost everyday with my fiance! So I can totally relate to what you were saying about your cousin. For Nick (my fiance) he is luckily a little more social than your cousin seemed to be and he ended up bonding with people in his hall in college over video games and they would game together. While I see the social value, I don't think I will ever understand the amount of time some people manage to spend on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree that video games need to be played only in moderation because it takes away from learning about one's surroundings. While growing up, my siblings and I were only allowed to play video games in moderation. After about an hour a day, my mom would kick us all outside to run around the house or create our own games. We were taught the importance of being scientists and asking questions about why things were the way they were. I believe, like you said Catherine, that having face-to-face interactions can benefit one further in life as opposed to having only simulated or non face-to-face interactions. It is important for kids to understand their surroundings, which can be achieved by limiting the time spent playing video games.

    ReplyDelete