Sunday, November 17, 2013

Edubloggers and Blogging

What I was surprised the most with (but perhaps I should have expected) was the discussion about using blogs in the classroom. I mean, these are bloggers were talking about so obviously they're pro blogs, I just wasn't anticipating the large discussion that was taking place regarding the use of blogs in the classroom.

What I read I tended to agree with. I had already begun to think about the use of blogs (for all types of classrooms but specifically my future English classes) on a regular basis in the classrooms. My mentor teacher has asked me to begin to think about how we can utilize technology in a traditional English classroom next semester (I'll be teaching a women's lit course.) One of the first things that came to mind was using blogs.

I've just been thinking about how I can motivate my students to write, and I know it's not going to happen if they're just writing essays to me throughout the semester. I was thinking about how excited my journalism students get simply because their creations are being shared with their classrooms and the world. How can I incorporate this into a traditional English classroom? Blogs! And it appears I'm not the only one.

Some of the things that have been discussed include making sure that blogging is done on a regular basis, and using blogging as a gateway to understanding other types of technology.

Of course it's important to make sure that blogs are utilized on a regular basis. If they're only used sporadically throughout the semester students won't see the value in them, or feel as large of a sense of ownership over their blog as they would if they posted every week. The second item of discussion, using blogs as a gateway for understanding other technological tools, is something I had honestly not thought of. I guess I don't consider myself technologically savvy and I don't always consider all of the possibilities. But really, teaching students how to post links, photos, and videos can add a whole new dimension to their blogs. Instead of just writing, they can add other elements to demonstrate their knowledge of a concept which allows for differentiated instruction.

Hopefully this helps spark another conversation about how to get students to take ownership of their work and how integrated we want technology to be in our classroom!

1 comment:

  1. Catherine, I just want to second your inclination to, if you decide to employ blogging in your teaching next term, have students blogging on a regular basis.
    One of the edubloggers whose work I read regularly is Vicki Davis, and she has this piece (amongst others--poke around her site) about the potential benefits of blogging with your students

    ReplyDelete